Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Wait Long Enough And They Say What They Mean

I remember a long time ago I was in a relationship that was basically going nowhere. I knew it. I'm not sure if she knew it, but I did. But being the person in "emotional control" of the relationship (The one with the least invested) it didn't bother me much because, well, I wasn't worried about losing anything. But of course, in order to retain access to The Goods(tm) I had to make sure to maintain a decent front. One day we were watching a TV show where a dude was CLEARLY stringing a chick along, I blurted out, DAMN it's so obvious that he's not interested cause if he was he would not have done...." And proceeded to detail exactly what I was doing. Ahh hubris. I realized that I had exposed my own game and hoped that it wasn't over, yet. I learned from then on to listen to what people are saying. Even the best tell on themselves. Latest example, Canada:
Is Harper just a useful idiot to the U.S. — ranting and raving about Russian expansionism and imperialism so that the U.S. position looks more reasonable by comparison? He declared:

“When a major power acts in a way that is so clearly aggressive, militaristic and imperialistic, this represents a significant threat to the peace and stability of the world, and it’s time we all recognized the depth and the seriousness of that threat.”
Really though. Where has Harper been since 2001? Really sir? Really? Now for the vast majority of people, the statement will not seem odd at all. Like the person in the preceding paragraph, if you're trapped up in relationship with the blinders on, there's nothing off putting about the remark. But when you know what's going on, Harper's statement makes no sense whatsoever and if he actually believed it, he wouldn't be sending warplanes to NATO.

So yeah, if upon hearing someone say something, you get the "but what about...?" feeling in your gut, run with it.