Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Conspicuous Absence

So due to the recent announcements out of Apple Inc. this week, I was watching the videos. There is something conspicuously absent in all of the recent Apple advertisements:

Black men.

Yes there are black persons, specifically black women, in most (if not all) the adverts (usually but not exclusively with natural hair) but there are zero black men.

None.

Not a one.

There is the expected Chinese presence. There are all kinds of folks, with the other obvious exception of clearly "blue collar" males, but I've watched the videos and when the people are shown (not photos but we can add them if you like), there is not a single black male.

I don't think it's accidental either. Meanwhile, I'm watching this JC Penny commercial with a black family, on a "white" channel. And it's not even Black History Month! Guess where I shop?