Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Another Bible Lesson

I haven't written on religion in a while, but I was greatly annoyed by what was on my TV Sunday morning. I had left the TV on one of those channels that carries on of the Sunday mega church preachers. I don't know if it was Creflo Dollar or Dollar Bill, or whomever. Usually as soon as I recognize "Preacher" I change the channel. However; that morning I actually decided to see what the man had to say. Apparently his topic was about something "Natural" his main point being that fear is not natural and if something is not natural then it does not come from or is of God. As proof of this he offered up 2 Timothy:

2 Timothy 1:7 (Whole Chapter)
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.


Now I'm sure that one can decide to translate this in many ways, one of which could be that living in a state of fear is unnatural and not desired by God. And had Mr Preacher actually made that statement I'd have nothing to write about. But that's not what he said. He said flat out that fear is un-natural. Now if one goes to Bible.com and do a search for "fear" through the KJV, you'll come up with 21 pages of citations of "fear." the favorite of mine is:

Proverbs 1:7 (Whole Chapter)
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.


Now then clearly this single verse utterly contradicts Mr. Preacher. His sermon ought to have been cut short by some audience member pointing this clear contradiction out. Kinda reminded me of one of the reasons I stopped with church. It's hard for me to go along with the general message when the message has so many obvious flaws in it.

Fear, like every other emotion is natural. It clearly serves us well when we decide to not cross a street against traffic. However living in a state where one fears everything is not good. Similarly, a person who has never experienced fear is a person who either has never taken a chance in life, or is a serial killer who knows he's not going to ever get caught.

Anyway, I didn't stay tuned in too long for that. I hope perhaps I missed the part where he was making some counterpoint, but I'm not really thinking so.