Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Friday, April 13, 2007

A Special Case of Profiling in NJ

Firstly, I want to express my best wishes to Governor Corzine and his family. I hope he has a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.

Now I want to get at a problem I have with this situation. When I heard of the kinds of injuries that Corzine received in the accident I knew that he was not wearing his seat belt. Given that he was riding in a late model SUV with at least second generation air bags; the trauma to his chest and legs made it clear that he at least hit the dashboard. Also of interest to me was the fact that Corzine was being driven by a NJ State Trooper.

I am very bothered by this.

I have been stopped on the NJ Highways numerous times. I have been surrounded by police, some with guns drawn. I have been told that my birthday matches the birthday of someone who recently robbed a house in a neighborhood I was driving past on Rt 17. I along with many other black people have been harrassed by the NJ State Troopers who have used inane excuses to pull us over and search our vehicles. I have witnessed prosecutors and judges berate citizens and threaten to take away thier licenses for offenses that had nothing to do with safety and everything to do with lining the pockets of the county in question (Paramus I'm looking in your direction). I've been pulled over on the Turnpike, in pouring rain for allegedly having a tail light out (it was not).

I find it particularly insulting that Governor Corzine was permitted to be driven in a vehicle, by a NJ State Trooper no less, without his seatbelt. So I'm left to wonder just who else the NJ State Troopers allow to get away with law breaking while at the same time they feel free to prey on the wallets of citizens and whomever else happens to be driving in NJ?

This is just another example to me of the crass indifference to ordinary citizens that I have witnessed in New Jersey (Hackensack City Manager, and Captain of Police, I'm talking about you).

So perhaps this will provide the opportunity for the State and it's officers and officials to re-evaluate the "club" they think they belong to where they can routinely defacate on citizens while excepting themselves from the rules.

No comments: