Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Rods and Staffs

I haven't posted on religion in a long time. I'll break that silence today because it's Easter and I had all kinds of Christian imagery around me annnnnd...because of something I was watching last night.

Psalms 23 is a popular psalm. It reads, in part:

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Why the reference to a rod and staff? Particularly in the Old Testament? Well since we know that the Khemetic Neters are often represented with rods and staffs (and holding the Ankh, symbol of life). Below is Horus:

You'll note that he holds a long staff in one hand and in the other a shorter staff, also known as a rod. In this image he also has Ankh in his hands. Again, this is common imagery in the Khemetic pantheon. While it is common for theologians to make the claim that this rod and staff reference are about the shepherding references that are often used in Judeo-Christian themes (Jesus the good shepherd). One has to understand the great influence that Egyptians had on the formation of Judaism. This is just another one