Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Saturday, January 09, 2016

The Baltimore Sun and the Revealed Preferences Of White Liberals

A while back I got into contact with the authors of a paper about what white people thought about diverse neighborhoods. Their "research" revealed that white people generally were very positive about diverse neighborhoods (with the assumption that non-diverse neighborhoods were "bad"). When I contacted the authors I asked one question:
How many of the respondents actually live in a "diverse" neighborhood? And wouldn't you think that what the respondents actually did with their money (or living arrangements) be more representative of their preferences than what they told some random person on the phone?
I never got a reply. I wonder why.

Revealed preferences is nothing new to those of us who have been paying attention. Many people on the left say they think that black people are "equal" and yet are keen to run programs and pass laws and protest in ways that make it clear that they think black people are, by and large, children who are in need of benificent white guidance or in at the least, less rigorous standards and expectations of behavior. Mike Brown mad about being asked to not walk down the middle of the street? We shouldn't expect him to respect authority. "Authority" is triggering.

Black man asked to stay in his car while the police run the plates on the car he's driving? Oh no! The black man should be excused for running, after all he has to deal the prison industrial complex that is trying to get him into jail for no good reason at all.

Black folks shooting each other? Clearly it's the fault of white people who don't live anywhere near them and the gun itself. I mean black people cannot help themselves but to shoot each other when a gun is present. I mean it's a GUN!

Yes, when we look at what left leaning folks say about black people, it reveals exactly what they think of us. Now the Baltimore Sun provides us with the first(?) example of the new year.

I'm less afraid of the criminals wielding guns in Baltimore, I declared as we discussed the issue, than I am by those permitted gun owners.
You know, there are times when I am writing blog entries where I get to a point where I write something that completely discredits the entire piece. They live on as drafts. My general philosophy is that if I cannot construct a proper argument then I don't post the piece. Tricia Bishop ought to abide by such thinking. What she has said here is that she is more afraid of permitted, meaning legal, owners of guns than she is of people who are not permitted. She may as well just declared that she is a jackass. Why is she less afraid of criminals in Baltimore?
I know how to stay out of the line of Baltimore's illegal gunfire; I have the luxury of being white and middle class in a largely segregated city that reserves most of its shootings for poor, black neighborhoods overtaken by "the game." The closest I typically get to the action is feeling the chest-thumping vibrations of the Foxtrot police helicopter flying overhead in pursuit of someone who might be a few streets over, but might as well be a world away. [my underlines]
Translation: I made damn well sure to live away from black folks so I could feel safe from the crime they commit. In order to not feel guilty about it, I pop shit about my white gun owning neighbors who don't commit crimes.

There was a time in the US when it was assumed that every household had at least one gun (unless the occupant was a pacifist vegetarian) and that any child with reasonable thinking skills knew how to use it/them. Now about half the country not only does not know how to use a gun but are scared to the point of irrationality of them. What the hell happened?

But I don't know where the legal gun owners are or how to ensure that their children, no matter how well versed in respecting firearms, won't one day introduce that weapon to my daughter.
Generally speaking children of gun owners do not "show and tell" with guests. Children who do so are generally in household who ought not have a gun (most likely illegally purchased) or the owner was very lax in not only securing the firearm but of educating their children on when it is appropriate for them to touch it (much less use it). To add to he level of paranoia this woman is showing is that among whites, death by gun is usually the result of suicide and child involved shootings (usually accidental) are extremely rare.
ut how about adding something immediately useful: a gun owner registry available to the public online — something like those for sex offenders. I'm not equating gun owners with predatory perverts, but the model is helpful here; I want a searchable database I can consult to find out whether my kid can have a play date at your house.
1) You just did compare the two.
2) Why does this chick think that she should have a right to know what a private citizen owns?
3) Why doesn't this chick not care enough about the "poor blacks" in her "segregated city" to ask that the names and locations of convicted gun crime felons be posted online for them to know who to look out for? After all, in America, we punish and take the rights away from the convicted, not the innocent and law abiding.
My folks were taught how to handle guns and use them safely. But that doesn't do much to allay my fears; it's the simple presence of the weapon in the home and the possibilities it presents that terrify me.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: those persons who are truly "terrified" of a weapon are in need of professional help and ought not be writing for a "reputable" news organization. There are many desensitization programs out there that can help her with her phobia. Besides, generally speaking, in normal people mastery of an inanimate object leads to less anxiety. This chick is clearly not normal. Note to Baltimore Sun: Please give this woman some sick leave. She needs it.
U.S. toddlers were accidentally shooting people — including themselves — at the rate of one per week last year.
That's 52 toddlers. In the same space of time over 300 people in Baltimore were killed. Not to mention those who were shot and survived. She's like the BLM folks: Lets talk about the minor issue and act like the big one doesn't exist.
And most of the guns used in the last 15 unpredictable mass shootings — including San Bernardino; Umpqua, Ore.; and Marysville, Wash., where a 15-year-old used his father's Beretta to kill four fellow high school students — were purchased legally.
Two points here. First: San Bernardino was entirely preventable. A proper immigration policy would have kept those persons out of the country. Secondly; no law short of a repeal of the second amendment will prevent someone who legally purchased a fire arm to one day flip his or her lid and murder someone. And all the repeal of the second amendment would do is cause gun ownership to go underground. I wont even get into the hell that would be the attempted confiscation of firearms.

Of course many of the commentary I've seen on this piece discusses her database suggestion. I think the real info is where she lives and who she claims to be scared of.