Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Saturday, January 09, 2010

Why Is Reid Apologising?

Senator Reid has apologised for predicting that Obama would be president because he was "Light Skinned" and had "no Negro Dialect."

Why?

He is absolutely correct. Not only that, but he is not the first or only person to have pointed this out. Anyone who has been paying any attention to race in America knows full well that real black men scare the bejesus out of white folk. On the premier episode of Garvey's Ghost TV I discussed the African-American man who was told by his boss that he "intimidated" people when he wore suits.

Reid has said nothing wrong and said nothing that is historically inaccurate so why is he apologizing? He's apologizing because a set of black folk who: a) don't know history b) are completely stuck on themselves since Obama was elected love for nothing less than to "stick it to the white man" regardless of fact.

Oh so you don't believe Reid was correct? Well I wrote about it back in February of 2008 quoting an article by Heather Grey:

Then I met with a white friend who's a Ph.D. and teaches at one of the local Universities. She was so excited about Obama and has given him financial support. "I am tired of the black/white scenario in America. I'm pleased that Barrack has a white mother and a black father. He's of a mixed race. This is important and changes the landscape."


So why is Reid apologizing? Seriously. If people claim they want to have "honest" conversations about race in America, then you can start right there. Reid ought not to have apologized. Sharpton ought not to have twitted junk like this:

I told Sen. Reid that there was some uncomfortable truths about how some Americans see some Blacks different than others, the words he used Bad and certainly offensive[sic]. There was a lot of very offensive statements made in 08 by Pres. Clinton, then Sen. Biden and even some blacks


They weren't offensive to anyone with a clue. Only clueless, no history knowing idiots would be offended by the comment and, you know what? Clueless, no history knowing idiots do not deserve apologies.

On a side note, I have to say this. I'm starting to be particularly annoyed by Rev. Al. Anyone who's followed this blog knows I've gone to bat for Sharpton. Repeatedly. I've been a general supporter of him since he was wearing sweatsuits with a gold medalion. I'm talking "Day's of Outrage" and shut down subway stations. I go way back. I completely understand maturing. I totally understand making a living. But of late he has been doing some stuff that is seriously questionable. I'm extremely concerned with him on board this "education reform" that has been pushing Charter Schools and is being led by someone who has been extremely hostile to black teachers. I've watched his tweets and I'm not impressed. Not at all. Then he ran his mouth of regarding that Basketball player when the facts regarding guns and athletes made the public commentary completely uncalled for. As of today, no more going to bat for him. But I should have known when the Sean Bell protest in Harlem had the "permission" of the police.

Anyway, I'm sure there are a whole lot of "Negroes" who will be exalting in Reids comeuppance at the cost of their own intelligence.