Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Jena 6 Summary


Nicole Colson has an excellent review of the Jena 6 situation which underlines the violence that black folk are under:


In late November, Robert Bailey, a Black student, was beaten up at a party attended by mostly whites. According to the Louisiana Public Defenders' Association, police initially refused to let Bailey make a complaint against his attacker and warned Black students at the party to get "get their Black asses out of this part of town."



A few nights later, Bailey and two others were threatened by a white student with a sawed-off shotgun at the town's "Gotta Go" convenience store. The three wrestled the gun away and fled, but instead of police arresting the white student who pulled the gun, Bailey was initially arrested and charged with second-degree robbery, theft of a firearm and disturbing the peace...

Blacks who have tried speaking out against racism in the past in Jena have found themselves retaliated against, Gibbs says. "If you get too outspoken here," he says, "you might show up at work in the morning and find you don't have a job. So that's what took it so long to come out."

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

In Mississippi, Whites are threatening many Black people's job if they don't vote Republican. To ensure that they vote Republican, their bosses watches to see which station (Dem or Repub) they will vote from.

sondjata said...

Would you provide the documentation for this please?

Thanks.

Cynthia said...

This is what my cousin told me. There is no documentation for this. I'm going to put the conversation on my blog I had with my relatives.

Cynthia said...

I should add - theoretically, it should be easy to get documentation if someone went down there with a tape recorder. However, by them not knowing you, this would raise a red flag and they would be subtler with it.

sondjata said...

I understand. Not that I doubted you, but I like to be able to show people where I get my stuff from. If this was a conversation then that's enough documentation I need. Related first hand experience is good.