Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Curtissss. Part 2

I wanted to revisit the "currtiss" post because I neglected to touch on one of 50's arguments regarding Hip Hop music, specifically the negative type, and movies. 50 cent has proffered the argument that movies such as Scarface and Goodfellas are more destructive to children and other people exposed to those forms of entertainment than a single track because the movie is two hours and a particular track is 4 minutes. Let's take look at that argument.
In my iTunes library I have discovered that the most played track I have is Musiq Soulchild's "Stop Playin'" which I have listened to 238 times since 5/7/2004 when it was added to my library. The track is 4:03. so I've listen to this track for 16.4 hours or .66 days.

By contrast Goodfellas is 145 minutes long. or 0.1 days long. In order for me to have the same exposure to Goodfellas as I have had to "Stopplayin" I would have to watch that movie 6 times.

Now imagine that my top listened to song was David Banner's "Like a Pimp" instead of Musiq's playful track? Now let's consider that in my top 25 played songs on my iPod amount to 4,465 plays. if we were to assume a track length of 4 minutes each that's a whopping 17,860 minutes or 297.6 hours or 12 days. So for my top 25 tracks, I would have had to watch Goodfellas 120 times. Now there are places where people listen to nothing but "gangster rap" all day. All day. If they are listening to this material all day AND watching gangster films, it doesn't take a genius to figure out what their basic thinking pattern is like.

Thus it is pretty clear that the impact of "a song" is just as damaging, if not worse, as a violent movie, simply based on the fact of the repetitive nature of most music listening. Something to think about.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: