Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

From Delany to Obama: The Fall of the Black Male


I knew it would happen. Most aware political watchers knew it would happen. Yesterday it happened: Obama officially put his pastor on the auction block.


Obama's "There is no race" campaign has once again shown those paying attention that race and white supremacy still holds. First a matter of the political math. Black folk make up a relatively small amount of the overall electorate. Of that group an even smaller amount has any real knowledge of national or world events. An even smaller amount of those persons are actually informed enough to have educated critiques of those events. An even smaller amount of that group are nationalists of any stripe and of that group a large percentage probably do not vote, or would not vote for any mainstream politician. In other words the potential loss of votes for Mr. Obama by the groups that agree with Jeremiah A. Wright, are so miniscule as to be unimportant in the political calculus.


Political calculus aside, the recent denouncement (and rejection?) of Jeremiah White is significant in the history of African-American politics and "leadership".

Obama made great fanfare of the "Joshua generation" taking over and taking it's place in history. In the space of 40 years we've gone from leadership critical of the US establishment to "leadership" that pledges allegiance and protection to non-citizens (Israel); bows to "the lobby" AIPAC, and takes special care to show white folk that they have nothing to fear from him by kicking down black people in general and black leadership in particular whenever he is asked to.


Going back to the last debate on CNN. HIs reply to the totally unncessary and race-baiting question on Farrakhan, was a perfect example of the how high?" show that is the Obama campaign. In essence he was told by white folk (Clinton, et-al) to jump so high and he did so. Later he went to an AIPAC meeting and did another "how high" moment. And Friday another "how high boss" show of obedience to the whims and wishes of white folk was done.


What is particularly insulting about this "how high" show is that it's not even being done for survival. Obama won't be going hungry or losing his only means of income as many civilian black folks would be faced with. I recall after going to the Million Man March I came back to an illegal interrogation regarding my whereabouts on that Monday and who gave me "permission" to be out that day. although I was in student loan debt, car note debt, with little savings and even less invested, I didn't lie about my whereabouts. I didn't "explain myself". I didn't denounce Farrakhan or any of his statements. Sure, doing so would have been good for the bottom line. Sure it would have made my all white colleagues comfortable. But I didn't. That's what proud black men who fear no one but God (assuming belief in such a deity) acts.


On every occasion when Obama has had the opportunity to "change" the conversation on race he has instead attacked black folk as being 'anti-semetic" or "anti-immigrant". When that tactic isn't available then black folk simply don't exist (see South Carolina speech).


But lets look at the news clip from MSNBC


Obama: Well you know there was a recognition that he's on the verge of retirement. He's taking a sabatical and it was important for him to step out of the spotlight in this situation.


-A sabatical? Retirement? From what? For what? Spotlight? What Spotlight? haven't seen hide nor hair of this fellow since the campaign began.


Obama: You know frankly I wasn't in church during the time the statements were made. I think it's important Keith to point out that he's been preaching for 30 years, he was a former Marine who served this country, a biblical scholar, someone who's spoken at theological schools all across the country and is widely regarded as a preacher. That's the man I know . That's the person who is the pastor of this church. I did not hear such incendiary language. My self personally. I've had conversations with him, when I was in the pew he was always preaching the social gospel and was sometimes controversal in the same way that many people who speak on social issues are controversial.



Stop for a minute. So people who speak on social issues are often controversial. So since the Obama campaign isn't controversal that would mean what?


Obama: But these particular statements that have been gathered are ones that I strongly objected to. Strongly condemned. If I heard them in church I would have expressed that concern directly to Reverend Wright.


Stop. In my time in Christian churches I have never ever heard of any congregant rolling up on a pastor to disagree with a sermon. Obama either has an exceptional relationship with Mr. Wright, he's lying or I've been out of churches for a long time.


Obama: I didn't become familiar with these until recently.


If you say so.


Obama: I would not repudiate the man.


Oh? Why?


Obama: As I said this is somebody who I have known for 17 years helped bring me to Jesus.


Jesus good, Allah bad. Got it.


Obama: and helped bring me to church.


Church good, Mosque bad. Got it.


Obama: and he and I have a relationship. He's like an uncle who has talked to me, not about political things


Stop. Not about political things? I don't know anyone who is into Black Liberation Theology who does NOT talk about political things. And WHO does not talk politics with a politician?


Obama: not about social views but about faith and God and family. And he's somebody who is widely respected throughout Chicago and around the country for many of the things has has done not only as a pastor but also as a preacher. but I have to say the comments that have been played are ones that are contrary to what I believe. What I think about this country the love I have for this country and are ones that anger and distress me. So I would describe it as a member of your family that said something that you really disagree with they don't stop being a member of your family but you have to speak out forcefully on the issue.


a person respected throughout Chicago and around the country, as a preacher? I thought he was talking about Farrakhan for a minute there. He's respected world wide. He's respected nation wide. But Obama couldn't find the balls to say " i don't repudiate the man". Why? because of a statement he made what 20 years ago? Well Obama just said that such a person ought to be considered "family." So where was this "family" love for Farrakhan?

Is it because he's *gasp* a Muslim? Could it be Obama is playing the religion card?


Now what were those statements that angered you? Maybe the statement your wife made the other day? perhaps something like this:


Earlier in the week, several television stations played clips in which Mr. Wright, of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, referred to the United States as the “U.S. of K.K.K. A.” and said the Sept. 11 attacks were a result of corrupt American foreign policy.



Does that make Obama angry? Does the statement distress Obama? Why? Are they false? Explain that to me man. Oh I forgot I'm a part of that invisible, keep your mouth shut and vote for me, black person. I'm not owed an explanation.


Obama: Now one thing that I do hope to do is to use some of these issues to talk more fully about the question of race in our society. Reverend Wright represents a generation that came of age in the 60's. He is an African-American man who because of his life experiences continues to have a lot of anger and frustration...


Stop. Did I just hear Obama use the "Angry black man" statement to characaturize black people who speak up forcibly about race and international politics? I mean I EXPECT that from Clinton, McCain, etc. That's pretty bad. And note to Obama, some of us haven't grown up in the 60's and share Rev. Wright's critiques of US society... Oh wait...


Obama: and will express that in ways that are very different from me and my generation partly because we benefitted from the struggles of that generation.


You don't say. And after benefitting from that struggle it's cool to talk shit about them right? Anyway, that generational thing is pretty important.


Obama: Part of what we're seeing here is a transition from the past to the future and I hope that our politics represents that future.


Yeah that's a part of it. The other part is that this "Joshua generation" is fuckin' clueless. It is the least active, most self-interested and in spite of the internet, least informed generation of black folks EVER. it is, as we've recenty learned, the most imprisoned, least employed, least wealth holding (overall), least land owning, and possibly the least business owning generation of black folks since segregation.


That the general black electorate cannot see that Obama is playing the same exact race cards and using the same exact code language (as pointed out over at the 'Assault" blog) or that the black electorate does not care that Obama is using the same racial and religious code words is pretty sad commentary on the same folk.


That we went from the strong speakers and leaders like Martin Delany, Garvey, Powel, Martin and Malcolm, to this, it is a really sad state of affairs.


Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: