Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Haiti Shits The Bed. Again.

 I know that sounds harsh.

I have a poster of Toussaint L'Ouveture and Jean Jaques Desalines on my walls.  That the Haitian people threw off slavery back in 1804 is a great thing.  But that was a long time ago.

Yes, I know France made Haiti pay for it's freedom. 

But still.

Haiti first came to my knowledge due to Papa and Baby Doc Duvalier. 

Then there was a the very pretty Haitian girl in high school, but that's another story.

Hearing about the horrors of the Duvaliers stuck with me. 

Then there was Aristide, a "saviour" who, being familiar with how things went down on that Island, knew would not last long.  By that time having seen what had gone on in Gaza/Palestine, I had become very wary of charismatic leaders AND the volatile situation that occurs when citizens of such places think that this guy is going to make their lives better...RIGHT NOW.

Of course we know what happened to Aristide.

To be honest, right now, I don't even recall who came after or how many. I do know that there have been repeated failures to properly run that country. It has been example number one of those who points out the failures of black rule. And lets be honest, it's really hard to argue. Particularly when a less black half of the shared Island doesn't have the same problems.

One would have to seriously consider if Haiti is cursed. After all, there are other Islands not having such misfortune. But so long as the leadership diverts money to private accounts in America and Europe (like others such as Mobutu), and people think the government is some magic organization that produces wealth out of thin air, I don't see how I'll meet my life's end without seeing another "uprising in Haiti" story splash across a screen somewhere.

Does the Clinton Foundation, the UN and others who have been involved in Haiti bear some responsibility? Sure. Ultimately though it comes down to Haitians themselves. It's easy to burn down a building, kill a few elites and whatnot. Destroying is ALWAYS easier than building. Shooting is easier on the ego than peaceful resolution of conflict. The long game is always harder than the short game. But these are things that will need to happen to end this cycle.

This morning I read that a few power stations were destroyed by the rebels. Why? Do they not plan on using electricity ever again? Who's going to pay to rebuild these stations that need not have been destroyed? Who's GOING to get paid to rebuild?

Who's going to be making money [this time] to change the proverbial sheets?

I don't know and I don't wish I'll on Haitians, but it's time to get "potty trained" and stop being the laughing stock [and ward] of the world.