Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Wednesday, March 08, 2023

$24/Hour Min Pay?

 I was pretty shocked when I read this:


$24/hour minimum for delivery work?

Really?

that's a $50k a year job before taxes working an 8 hour day, 5 days a week. For totally *unskilled* labour.

Really?

I didn't make that on my first job (many decades ago) and I was *skilled* labour.

If totally *unskilled* labour is to cost $50k/year who in their right mind who has skills is accepting anything close to that?

A heckler named Octavio López, who identified himself as a delivery worker of more than 10 years, derailed the event, shouting down leaders and casting blame on them for not securing a higher minimum pay rate casting them as “farsantes” – phonies.

“I wanted $30 an hour, too,” he said at one point, in Spanish. “You all lied to us.”

This man wanted $60k/year before taxes to do deliveries? 

Really?

And who is doing deliveries for 10 years for a business they don't own?

I'm a mean mofo. If that kind of demand came at me from the government, I'd check my bank account and then I'd shut my business down the next day and enjoy retirement. You ant $60k/ year you go to HVAC or Auto-mechanic school and pick up a skilled trade.

On the flip side:

Workers have long maintained they toil punishingly long shifts for what amounts to very little pay. One worker who spoke with THE CITY last year said she earned as little as $45 in take-home pay after a 10-hour shift.


First: Is this person an illegal alien?

Second: $45 for a 10 hour shift is $4.50/hr. That's not even minimum wage. Again, is this an illegal alien?
If this is NOT an illegal alien did they not look at the math of what they signed up for to realize they would be making $4.50 an hour? 

Lastly, why is a city government in a so called capitalist country setting wages for various industries? Nobody has to work delivery. Certainly not for $4.50/hr. If these places/companies cannot afford to break off minimum wage to their delivery people then their business model is all wrong and/or they are a vampire middle-man that needs to be eliminated.