Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Thursday, June 17, 2021

Juneteenth

I've known about Juneteenth for decades now. It's not a day I do any particular observance mostly because I'm not particularly stuck on slavery. And that's not to knock the day or the significance thereof. Personally, I'm a garveyite *duh* and so I choose to observe Marcus Garvey's birthday. I take the day, rain or shine, pay or no pay. I don't ask for it off. I'm not approval seeking either. It's what *I* do and who and what *I* observe. That said, I think the recent elevation of Juneteenth to a federal holiday is a good thing. I'd even say it's a *very* good thing.

America's slave past is a significant part of it's history. It is inescapable. That it was ended is something I think SHOULD be recognized nationally just only as a point of a history class lesson but I think it is on the level of July 4th. 

Seriously.

I don't mean it takes the place of July 4th. No American of African descent ought to give ground on their claim of Americanes going back to Crispus Attucks, to observe Juneteenth. Indeed Juneteenth should not even be seen as a  "holiday for the blacks". No. It is a a holiday for Americans. 

I have often said that many other non-white groups have benefited from the struggles of the Africans in America. That struggle forced the country to live up to, at least attempt to, it's stated principles, particularly equal protection and application of the law which is currently under direct attack.

And yes, white Americans can also celebrate this victory of the ideology, common worldwide up to that time, that humans can and should, OWN other human beings. That is something to celebrate. It is a great human achievement. Yes, Juneteenth is for every American. So don't let them ghettoize it.

Another great thing about having a national recognition of Juneteenth is that we end the "oppression" talk. The only people who are slaves today, in America, aside from those trafficked from foreign countries, are those who are enslaved in the mind. People who WANT to see white people as all powerful as an *excuse* for their own failure to be excellent in whatever they do.

A message of Juneteenth is that people fought and died for you to be free and we don't want to hear your excuses for why you aren't taking advantage of the opportunities made available to you right now. 

It's no secret that I run and work out. There are days that I don't feel like it and sometimes I say to myself: This isn't hard. Plantation work from "can't see to can't see" is hard.  Weeks crossing the Atlantic Ocean in the hold of a ship in feces and urine is hard. Running for an hour is NOT HARD. Getting the weights moving is NOT HARD. Not putting garbage food into my body is NOT HARD. 

Doing your homework and going to class is NOT HARD. Not engaging in criminal activities that destroys your communities is NOT HARD.

So yes, let's make it so Juneteenth reminds our young people that they don't have it hard. They are NOT oppressed. The people that Juneteenth represents had it hard. THEY were oppressed.