Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Garveyism and Employment

I saw the following at Techyville.com I cannot verify the story but it is in line with the published research in regards to "black sounding" names and employment prospects.

At the end of my little experiment, (which lasted a week), Bianca White had received nine phone calls—I received none. Bianca had received a total of seven emails, while I’d only received two, which again happen to have been the same emails Bianca received. Let me also point out that one of the emails that contacted Bianca for a job wanted her to relocate to a different state, all expenses paid, should she be willing to make that commitment. In the end, a total of twenty-four employers looked at Bianca’s resume while only ten looked at mines.

Is this a conspiracy, or what? I’m almost convinced that White Americans aren’t suffering from disparaging unemployment rates as their Black counterpart because all the jobs are being saved for other White people.

I'm going to paraphrase what Marcus Garvey said in regards to black employment in America:

When the white man needs employment what do you think he will do? He will hire his own first.
Let us be clear that the number ONE reason why African-American unemployment is so high is because we do not have businesses that employ our own first. By not having these businesses we are unable to give our youths the "first job" experiences and must depend on other folks to do that. WHo do you think they are going to hire when it's time to do "first job"? I can't even be mad at them because that is what they are supposed to do.

Unfortunately the most common response to this will be the most common response to this: "they" need to provide (put whatever you want here) for us.

I know folks will see that comment as "shades of Romney" but y'all don't understand: I don't want y'all having to be workers to be exploited and then kicked to the curb by a Romney. If you can't tell the difference then I can't help you.