Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Monday, September 18, 2017

The Hypocrisy Test

With so much being discussed about DACA, I often see that people have "misalignments" between what they think about their personal (immediate) property and family and their nation and fellow citizens. Below is a test to see how you rank on the hypocrisy scale.

Answer Yes or No to the following questions:

Personal:

1) In my house (place of dwelling) I determine who can and cannot enter.

2) In my house (place of dwelling) I ultimately determine if and when it is time for non-residents to leave.

3) If I came home and discovered someone in my house (place of dwelling) who did not belong there, I would expect them to leave.

3a) I would expect that I could call the authorities to make sure said person left if they did not comply with my demand.

3b) I would expect recompense for anything said person may have broken during their "stay".

3c) I would expect the authorities, if called upon, to punish said offender under relevant law.

3d) I agree with laws against trespass against personal property.

4) If a visitor to my house (place of dwelling) does something that threatens or otherwise makes any member of my family uncomfortable, I reserve the right to have that person removed from my house (place of dwelling).

4a) If that person refuses to leave, I reserve the right to call upon the authorities to remove the person.

5) Strangers have the right to enter my property whenever they please regardless of how I feel about it.

6) Strangers have the right to partake of the food in my house whenever they please regardless of how I feel about it.

7) I have waited in line and brought all proper paperwork to rent a property. I expect others to do the same.

8) I am going on a cruise with my family. I paid for my room. It is fair that the cruise ship allows a stow away to be placed in my cabin with my family.

National:

1)In my country I (the citizens) determine who can and cannot enter.

2)In my country I (the citizen) ultimately determine if and when it is time for non-residents to leave.

3)If I discovered someone in my country who did not belong there, I would expect them to leave.

3a) I would expect that I could call the authorities to make sure said person left if they did not comply with my demand.

3b) I would expect recompense for anything said person may have broken during their "stay".

3c) I would expect the authorities, if called upon, to punish said offender under relevant law.

3d) I agree with laws against trespass against illegally entering the country.

4) If a visitor to my country does something that threatens or otherwise makes any citizen uncomfortable, I (the citizen) reserve the right to have that person removed from my country.

4a) If that person refuses to leave, I reserve the right to call upon the authorities to remove the person.

5) Strangers have the right to enter my country whenever they please regardless of how I (the citizen) feel about it.

6) Strangers have the right to partake of the [goods and services provided by my government] whenever they please regardless of how I (the citizen) feel about it.

7) I paid all my taxes and got my paperwork per the law. I expect others to do the same.

Scoring: for the Personal give yourself 1 point for answers as follows:

1-4a: Yes
5-6: No
7: Yes
8: No

For total of 13 points. Subtract 1 point for every answer not matching above.

For the National give yourself 1 point for answers as follows:

1-4a: Yes
5-6: No
7: Yes

For a total of 12 points. Subtract 1 point for every answer not matching above.

Now add the two scores.

Tally:

25: You are a consistent person.

Less than 25: You have a contradiction somewhere you might want to check.

13: You are a hypocrite of epic proportions.

Less than 13: You probably stumbled upon this blog by accident, perhaps the "feeling lucky" link in the Google search page. You simply cannot be serious.

General Moral:

The nation is an extension of the personal. National rules generally reflect the culture and expectations of the people. If you don't expect people to enter your home willy nilly, then you cannot at the same time be OK with people entering the country willy nilly. Your national politics should largely reflect what you expect in your personal behavior and expectations.