Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Friday, March 17, 2006

Addendum to Sirleaf speech

Minister Faust of the Bro-Log took me to task on my critique of Hon. Ellen Sirleaf's speech to congress, specifically around the claim of Liberia being the first "independent Republic" of Africa. Minister Faust has pointed out that if taken literally Liberia would be the first "Republic" of Africa. Secondly, the good minister has pointed out that Ethiopia was a monarchy and therefore could not be. by definition considered a Republic. On these two points I must concede and offer up this more detailed explanation of my objection to Hon. Sirleaf's comments.

Liberia is/was an American Colony. Let us be clear. Blacks who "founded" the country were doing so under the auspices of the American Colonization Society. That organization was founded for the express purpose of sending "free people of color" to Africa (or anywhere else) that the US Congress deemed appropriate. The society received funds from the state legislatures of Virginia, New Jersey among others. When establishing Liberia the ACS used the same means that other white countries did in Africa, they "purchased" lands and when all else failed, or for expediency, they used threats of or actual violence. So let us be clear, Liberia at it's inception was an American colony. That black people were the agents of colonization does not make it any different than Ghana, Nigeria or Kenya. In my opinion, the fact that black people were party to this is even more disturbing.

It is my position then that since Liberia was an American colony, the civil war there is no different than the independence struggles of other African colonies they were simply directed at "black-anglo saxons" rather than the British, French or Belgians. In this sense, I reject the claim that Liberia was the first Independent anything in Africa. In terms of colonization era it would be Ghana that holds that title.

In reference to Ethiopia, revisiting Hon. Sirleaf's speech I believe (and that is only so valid until confirmed) that the "First Independent" statement was made to place Liberia at the head of independent Africa. In that context I think that Ethiopia, even though it was a Monarchy,was still the only State in Africa that remained independent and that is something that no leader in Africa ought to forget to mention when discussing colonialism. Therefore, I still fault Hon. Sirleaf for her statement which I believe reinforces some notion of American largess in Africa that is simply unfounded.

Lastly, not really related to the content of the speech, Why are so many bloggers, especially African ones, having multiple orgasms because Hon. Sirleaf is addressing the US Congress? The Chinese president has never spoken to Congress and the Chinese are doing quite well. Hugo Chavez has never and probably will never speak to Congress but is arguably a better statesperson and leader that George W. Bush ever will be. So really, those who speak to Congress or are invited to the White House are typically not really good leaders. This is not a slam on Hon. Sirleaf, but given that the US Congress and government has had the likes of Mobutu as welcome guests, I would personally be concerned about what I may be doing wrong to earn such a visit. Let us not fall back into tokenism and overly emotional responses when Washington puts the spotlight on one of us. The US Congress is simply not that important. I stil say, make that trip too Venezuela!

Technorati Tags: ,

1 comment:

Minister Faust said...

You wrote: "Minister Faust of the Bro-Log took me to task...."

Brother! No, come on. I very gently pointed out that your objection rested in part on the word "state" whereas Sirleaf said "Republic," which rendered your objection unnecessary.

I certainly had no reason to "take you to task" and specifically indicated an appreciation of your work (I think I did so twice in my comments).

Why would I take you to task? The internet is already far too full of anger; we, especially, need to model kindness and gentleness with each other. Even on issues where you and I disagree strongly, I would never take you to task, only diplomatically point out my disagreements.

Hotep (peace,

Minister Faust