Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Spoken Word

I used to perform at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe in NYC among other venues. Responding to a comment on one of my previous posts I referenced a poem written in 2000 which I am shocked to realize was six years ago. So I'm posting it here for old times sake:

Exact
by Sondjata

My words are exact.
Like,
original CP time.
I,
Tell it straight.
Like a plumb line.
Like,
rays of the sun during
Vernal Equinoxes on equatorial lines.
I
Put history to rhymes
the flow smooth like the
tick tock of stop watch
gear tines.
In
4/4 time.
I,
Tell whole truths
that flow like whole notes
to provide soul antidotes
to false hopes.
And,
I get's down for mine.
But still I rise
like the sun on Christmas morn'.
During winter solstices
when the Christ was born
on the horizon.
A,
cosmic production of the
sun-ra-son.
And
I,

I can fight gun fire
through fire
like a
Haitian freeing his nation
with determination
and
motivation
provided by Boukman's incantations
as Orisa numb pain sensations,
as I regularly receive revelations
from ,
those that made trips
in the holds of slave ships
like the ones named
Mary Matthew and Jesus,
but you refuse to believe this:
Biology is Chemistry is Physics
and is describable by mathematics
and that right there is what confused Pythagorus
but
my murmurings mesmerize like
metronome ticks
and
tricks are for kids
so I don't kick poems
for the heck of it.
'Cause the situation in Sierra Leonne is much too serious.
As
fierce fighting persists
and
Europeans make trips
to diamond mines to strip
so some wack ass rapper can brag 'bout some bling pon his wrists.

Something is terribly amiss!
That poets pimp the past
so they can pop some pink toes puss

ease up man
for my words
are exact
like
original CP time.

3 comments:

Abdul-Halim V. said...

I do poetry slams from time to time myself. I knew I liked something about you :)

nubian said...

me too. nice poem

sondjata said...

Peace,

Thanks.