Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

HIV in Swaziland

Joy Magongo, a mother of two whose husband moved out to live with his second wife after the couple discovered they were both HIV-positive, told IRIN: "Men say, 'I've been circumcised. I don't have to wear a condom.' They get infected, and they give us HIV.

"He [my husband] was circumcised and felt he didn't have to wear a condom. When we found we had HIV after testing, he blamed me. He said, 'You brought HIV into this house.' It was because I tested first, when I was pregnant with my second child," she said.

"My husband did not believe he could be HIV-positive because he was circumcised. I did all I could to convince him to test, and he finally did. That was the end. He took another wife and left us," Magongo said. Polygamy is legally recognised in Swaziland.


All Africa

It would appear that a larger issue at hand is the fact that these men are clearly cheating on their wives. It would seem also that this unfaithfulness is expected. Even worse is that the "other wife" is about to be the next victim of this man and it is highly probable that she has no clue that she is soon dead.

I honestly do not believe that this man, or others in his situation actually believe that the wife "brought HIV into this house." Instead what we have is a serious case of denial and projection.

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: