Still Free

Yeah, Mr. Smiley. Made it through the entire Trump presidency without being enslaved. Imagine that.

Monday, January 07, 2008

The Politics of "Likability"


Taken from the comments section of an article on Alternet on the legacy of Bill Clinton


In 2000, I heard much about people voting for Geo. W. Bush because he seemed likeable, unlike Gore. I heard in 2004 that people went with Bush because people wanted him as a neighbor, unlike Kerry. I heard between 2000 and 2008 that people realized they weren’t voting for a drinking buddy, they were voting for a president. Yet, here we are in 2008 and we’re talking about how friendly Obama is and how uptight Clinton is.



The day after the 2004 general election, I read and heard many comments from people lamenting that they ignored the issues. Since I went into debt trying to push issues, I was not pleased with the post-election insights. Yet, here we are in 2008 and issues are nowhere in sight except as the broadest banners hung as a backdrop.



No comments: